Travis Johnson Explains Decommitment, Names Top Three
Former Miami Hurricanes tight end commitment Travis Johnson (Jesuit/Tampa, Fla.) is getting it done on the basketball courts now that football season is over.
“We are about to finish up with District play Friday,” Johnson said of his basketball season. “We are doing pretty good. We are 21-1 right now, so we’re trying to keep the train moving.”
He is planning to make his college decision on National Signing Day and is still seeking out to learn more about the programs that he’s considering.
“I’m just going on my officials now, checking out campuses and putting names to faces,” Johnson said. “And seeing how schools are going to be using me in their offense. I’m looking at their offense on film and I’m looking at their depth chart.”
Since decommitting from the Canes and opening his recruitment back up, he has narrowed his choices down to a top three.
“Basically my decision is going to be out of Cincinnati, Missouri and USF,” Johnson said. “USF is close to home and I’m literally almost always on their campus. Missouri, I’ve been talking to Coach Jones, my recruiting coordinator, for a while. I actually got to go out there to check it out and it was pretty cool. I mean it’s in the SEC, so I’ll be playing some of the best teams in the nation week-in and week-out. I will also get to play against some of my friends that are committed to SEC schools. It would be a pretty cool opportunity if I choose to go there. It would be something different because I’m used to playing in Florida straight heat. Part of me wants to go out of state for college to see new things and live in a different environment.”
Johnson, 6-foot-3 and 225-pounds, explained the thought process behind his choice to part ways with Miami.
“I always wanted to go to Miami ever since I was little,” Johnson said. “It was my go to school, but it wasn’t working out. I was thinking about the sanction possibilities they were having when Randy Shannon was there. I was taking that into consideration and I don’t know what’s going to happen. They’re still under investigation. I didn’t want to wait and then sign a paper. Then something comes out my freshman or sophomore year and I’m stuck there. I didn’t want to go through the process of trying to transfer out if something happens. So, it was in my best interest to go ahead and deal with it.
“I just basically told them I wasn’t really looking to attend Miami due to all of the speculation about the sanctions. That I thought it would be in my best interest, and for my future also, to handle it in a proper way and not just wait it out. Coach Brennan Carroll understood completely and we went our different ways. “