Chances Leading Up To National Signing Day
It’s that time of year again, we’re heading into the final days of National Signing Day. Prospects are flooded with phone calls, in-home visits and “advice” from everyone and their brother. Let’s take a look at Miami’s chances with its remaining targets. First, a good understanding of how these percentages are construed will help make sense of it all. For example, if a prospect is considering three schools, and I put 80 percent on him for one school, that in turn means the other two colleges split– in some fashion–the remaining 20 percent. So, if a recruit such as Matthew Thomas is considering Miami along with FSU strongly, it wouldn’t make sense to give him a high number for Miami because that be the same as saying he’s not considering Florida State–which I stated before that he is.
Keith Bryant-40%: Once committed to the Hurricanes, Bryant’s recruitment has been all over the place. It’s clear he still has interest in Miami, but not clear if it’s enough to keep him home. Florida State has put themselves in a nice position to land him along with South Carolina. The Noles could see their recruiting effort payoff on NSD as there are already rumors floating around that he is a silent commit.
Alex Collins-65%: Let’s first start off by stating that he, like Bryant, was originally a Miami commit. So, it’s clear he likes UM a lot. Bret Bielema has continued to recruit him after he left Wisconsin for Arkansas. That has made a big impression on Collins. The Razorbacks are the main threat for the Canes, replacing Florida State as Miami’s closest competition.
Denver Kirkland-50%: Kirkland has done a great job of keep quiet about his recruitment. The Canes hold the home field advantage and it will be interesting to see how this unfolds. Florida State, Arkansas and Ole Miss are three other programs running with Miami right now and he is believed to be a UM-FSU battle.
Matthew Thomas-68%: Like his teammate, Denver Kirkland, he hides his college intentions behind a humble grin while doing interviews. This once UM-FSU two-way fight has seen two others, Alabama and Georgia, come into the picture. Yet, as time draws nearer to National Signing Day, Thomas’ South Florida roots should keep him home.
Jay-nard Bostwick-50%: Another in-state battle, only this time it’s between the Canes and Gators. He was once a strong Miami lean and Muschamp will do all that he can to make sure Bostwick doesn’t ink with the Canes Feb. 6. However, it’s a toss-up at the moment.
Terrell Brooks-70%: Brooks said some good things regarding the Canes that only lead to the assumption he will sign with Miami, unless something changes this last week. Baylor and Kansas State are his other offers. He is planning to take an official to Baylor this weekend.
Jermaine Grace-95%: From the beginning, Grace has been all Miami. The shake up here would be Tennessee and Louisville, however most feel Miami is where he’ll end up. The main reason he waited until NSD is to go enjoy a similar experience that former teammate Tracy Howard did through last year.
Stacy Coley-60%: Most people are basing what Coley will do off what his coach says. While sometimes a good source, other times there’s a disconnect between them and the player. Coley has been very quiet in the process and rarely does interviews forcing media alike to rely on people surrounding him. Miami, who once was out of the picture, is doing something right to get this young man into play. Florida State would be right behind Miami.
Augustus Edwards-45%: Miami has been recruiting him for awhile, but until recently there hasn’t been much talk of him and the Canes. He was committed to Syracuse, but opened things back up. His top two now are Miami and Florida State.